Professor Akova currently works and serves her patients in her Eye Clinic located in Maidan Center, Ankara. The Clinic has state-of-art opthalmology equipments for any ophthalmic problem you may have.
Areas of Interest and Expertise in Ophthalmology
Prof. Akova has more than 30 years experience about corneal diseases, cataract surgery, intraocular lenses, dry eye and uveitis. Her practice and expertise include the following subjects and diseases:
- Cornea and ocular surface diseases,
- Corneal transplantation (keratoplasty),
- Refractive surgery,
- Dry eye,
- Immunological diseases of eye,
- Behçet’s disease.
Prof Akova’s Surgical Experience Includes
- >20.000 cataract surgeries (including those with trifocal, EDOF and toric intraocular lenses),
- >1.000 corneal transplantations (keratoplasty),
- >1.000 Femtosecond Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery (FLACS),
- Glaucoma operations,
- Crosslink therapy for keratoconus,
- Limbal auto- and allograft transplantations,
- Pterygium operations with fibrin glue.
Training and Academic Experience
A graduate of Istanbul University School of Medicine, Dr. Akova had her speciality training in opthalmology in the same institution at the Department of Opthalmology between 1985 and 1990. Her postgraduate training and experience includes:
- 1988-1989: Moorfields Eye Hospital, Cornea and External Eye Diseases Department (Prof. Colin Kirkness),London, UK.
- January 1992- July 1992: Johns Hopkins University, Wilmer Eye Institute, Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery Department (Prof. Walter Stark, Prof. Dimitri Azar ),Baltimore, US.
- July 1992- June 1993: Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Cornea and Ocular Immunology and Uvetis fellowship (Prof. C. Stephen Foster),Boston, US.
- 1990-1997: Ankara Training and Research Hospital, attending at Cornea Department. Ankara, Turkey.
- 1997-2012: Başkent University School of Medicine, Department of Opthalmology (Department Chief, 2003-2011),Ankara Turkey.
- 2012-current: Bayındır Kavaklıdere Hospital, Chief of Department of Opthalmology, Ankara Turkey.
- 2020-current: Akova Eye Clinic, Maidan Center, Ankara.
- 1994: Associate professor of ophthalmology.
- 2000: Professor of ophthalmology.
Awards and Honors
- 1991: Postdoctoral Fellowship Grant, Turkish Scientific and Technical Research Institute (TÜBİTAK).
- 1995: Eczacıbaşı Research Award.
- 2011: Achievement Award, American Academy of Opthalmology.
- 2015: Fellow of European Board of Ophthalmology (FEBO) (examiner at European Board of Ophthalmology exams, 2012-2015).
- American Academy of Ophthalmology,
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS),
- American Uveitis Society,
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS),
- International Ocular Inflammation Society,
- International Uveitis Study Group,
- The Foster Ocular Immunology Society,
- Turkish Society of Ophthalmology.
Active Member in Sections in Turkish Society of Ophthalmology:
- Cataract and Refractive Surgery (Executive Committee Member 2021-current)
- Cornea and Ocular Surface
- Uvea and Behçet’s Disease
- >160 peer-reviewed articles in international scientific journals,
- >200 peer-reviewed articles and reports in local Turkish scientific journals,
- >3400 citations in international scientific journals,
- Editor of the book (Temel Opthalmology (Fundamental Ophthalmology),in Turkish) in all 3 editions,
- Author of 12 book chapters,
- Translation of 12 different opthalmology books in English.
Diplomas and Award Certificates